Monday, July 30, 2007

Karaoke - 26th July 2007

Black Maria - That's what The Webtender says it is called, a half pint of Guinness with a shot of Tia Maria in it. This was my new drink of the night as recommended to me on Tuesday and despite not being overly keen on Guinness I did quite like like this mix. This was of course helped by the fact that it tastes like a Nesquik chocolate milkshake!! It really does!

And so began another night of beer and song, albeit more beer than song (not always a good thing!), mixed with plenty of other singers and lots of new songs to make it a good night.

After first seeing them at the Academy supporting the Fratellis back in February (my review, Capn Jacks review) and despite saying in his review that they 'are not my cup of tea' :p, Scott sang The Enemys - Had Enough which, along with Biffy Clyros - Folding Stars, is one of my current top tunes and it was done well. I've not had enough of The Enemy though and I request that Away From Here is also sang. Consider this a formal request ;) The girls who were minus Louise for yet another week (is that 4 now? perhaps we should send a lifeboat out!) also waded in with another new song to their repertoire in the form of Buggles's - Video Killed The Radio Star. Nice job you two :) As for me, after the drought of new songs in recent weeks I came back with a bang with not one but three new ones tonight. Some will be sang again, others maybe not, but all three were fun to have a go at regardless. See my New Songs review below for further details.

And so, all the songs in order this week were:
  • Others: Tracy Byrd - Better Places Than This
  • Others: Shania Twain - Any Man Of Mine (4)
  • Shaun: The Holloways - Generator (new song)
  • Others: Elvis - Bossa Nova Baby
  • Scott: Duran Duran - Union Of The Snake (new song)
  • Others: Alison Moyet - That Ole Devil Called Love (2)
  • Tina & Hayley: Atomic Kitten - The Tide Is High (5)
  • Others: The Killers - For Reasons Unknown (2)
  • Others: Sara Evans - Suds In The Bucket (4)
  • Shaun: The Hoosiers - Worried About Ray (new song)
  • Others: Leo Sayer - One Man Band
  • Scott: The Enemy - Had Enough (new song)
  • Tina & Hayley: Beautiful South - Rotterdam (new song)
  • Others: Womack & Womack - Teardrops (5)
  • Andy: J. Geils Band - Centerfold (2)
  • Others: Biffy Clyro - Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies (2)
  • Others: Savage Garden - Affirmation (3)
  • Others: The Killers - Read My Mind (6)
  • Shaun: My Chemical Romance - Teenagers (new song)
  • Others: Michael Buble - Feeling Good
  • Scott: Robbie Williams - Something Beautiful (2)
  • Tina & Hayley: Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star (2) (new song)
  • Others: Bob Marley - Jammin (5)
  • Others: Abba - Waterloo (2)
  • Others: Alannah Myles - Black Velvet (7)
  • Others: Gary Nichols - I Can't Love You Anymore (2)
  • Others: Lonestar - Amazed (2)
  • Others: Richie Valens - La Bamba
** NEW SONGS **
The Holloways - Generator - My first song of the night and I can definately see me starting a night or two with this one again. Originally released in 2006 and charting at #30, it was re-released in July this year and reached a much healthier #14. This was helped in part by it being used as the intro music for Radio 1's Song Generator. A keeper for me. - do-again-rating: 8/10

The Hoosiers - Worried About Ray - Currently at #5 in the charts and I love this song although it is slightly a little bit too high for me. Having said that, it didn't sound too bad (although the beer was starting to affect) and when the tickle on my throat finally goes away I may have to have another go at this. Apparently, and this is for Scott, their song Goodbye Mr A has been agreed with by EA to be one of the main tunes on Fifa 2008, so there you go! - do-again-rating: 6/10

My Chemical Romance - Teenagers - I always wanted to do The Black Parade by MCR but found it just too difficult once the chorus screaming kicked in. I thought this was easier but after virtually going voiceless towards the end of the song I'll rethink that one! Still, a cracking song and I'm glad that I gave it a go, I just won't be doing it again (although did I hear Capn Jack say he was going to give it a go?? ;) ) - do-again-rating: 1/10

And so ends another week which was so exciting for one guy that he fell asleep in the corner (he soon woke up when it was his turn to sing though...) so thanks for coming and see you all again soon :)

No comments: