Monday, August 13, 2007

Karaoke - 9th August 2007

7up! No, not the drink, although it wasn't far off given that I was on-call and driving, but I managed to get 7 songs in tonight. Given that the karaoke slot is only 2½ hours (9-11:30) then that pretty much tells you how quiet dead it was, in fact, once the lady in the corner had done her three songs and left then it was just us lot singing the songs. I think we'll call this week 'Practice Night' and then pray it's not that bad again!

Still it gave us a chance to get in a few unplanned songs that were either new to us or we'd not done for a while. I had an unplanned go at The Enemy's - Away From Here and was glad to find that it was nowhere near as hard as I thought it was (thinking now of trying some of those Muse tracks I've been pondering!) while Scott went one further and did Linkin Park's - Given Up which is one corking, throat-ripping tune. Suprisingly, despite what he may think, it was actually quite a good effort and with a busier pub + atmosphere that would have been one cracking track! Scott also brought up his hundredth song of the year which I handily told him about just after he'd sang the 99th one, Hungry Like The Wolf, which had he known beforehand he says he would have shuffled his selections around. My 100th was a few weeks earlier and was The Killers - Somebody Told Me for anyone who cares :p We're getting close to now to 1000 songs for 2007 and I'm sure there will be a fight to see who get's that song! Or maybe not.

The songs from this weeks Scott, Shaun, Tina, Hayley & Andy extravaganza:
  • Shaun: The Bravery - An Honest Mistake
  • Scott: Rolling Stones - Start Me Up
  • Others: Amy Winehouse - Rehab (2)
  • Tina & Hayley: Britney Spears - I Love Rock N Roll (9)
  • Shaun: Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah (new)
  • Scott: Biffy Clyro - Folding Stars (2)
  • Others: Yazoo - Only You (2)
  • Tina & Hayley: Beautiful South - Don't Marry Her Have Me (new)
  • Andy: Gene Pitney - 24 Hours From Tulsa
  • Shaun: Reverend & The Makers - Heavyweight Champion Of The World (new)
  • Scott: Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf (new)
  • Others: Aztec Camera - Somewhere In My Heart (3)
  • Shaun: Maximo Park - Our Velocity (6)
  • Scott: Bon Jovi - Thank You For Loving Me (100th song this year for Scott)
  • Tina & Hayley: Lily Allen - Smile (7)
  • Shaun: Erasure - The Circus (3)
  • Scott: Take That - I'd Wait For Life (2)
  • Andy: Keith Urban - Jeans On (6)
  • Tina & Hayley: Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child O' Mine (new) (2)
  • Andy: Toby Keith - High Maintenance Woman (new)
  • Shaun: The Enemy - Away From Here (new)
  • Scott: Linkin Park - Given Up (new)
  • Shaun & Andy: Heavy D & The Boys - Now That We Found Love
  • Scott & Andy: Hollies - The Air That I Breathe
This weeks stats:
  • 24 songs sang tonight
  • 13 had not been sung previously this year
  • 11 have been sang already this year (1 of which was also sang last week)
  • There have been 811 songs sung so far this year!
** NEW SONGS **
Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah

After reaching #1 in the US, the Plain White T's are now making their way up the UK charts, currently at #6, with this lovely, virtually acoustic song. I enjoyed singing this one and will definately do again sometime. do-again-rating: 8/10

Reverend & The Makers - Heavyweight Champion Of The World

A funky indie track, Reverend & The Makers peaked at #5 in the UK charts a short while ago. Straightforward enough to sing and one for the to-do-again list. do-again-rating: 7/10

The Enemy - Away From Here

I'd if'ed and are'd about attempting this for a few weeks now, even trying to persuade Scott to do it first as I thought it the 'Away, Away from here' bits were too high for me, but with the pub being as dead as it was I thought sod it and gave it a go. And I'm glad I did. I'm not saying I nailed it but I certainly had a good time giving it a go and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I'll definately be up for this one again in the future. do-again-rating: 7/10


And so that's your lot for another week. Let's just hope that this Thursday has a few more people in!

No comments: