Saturday, March 24, 2007

Karaoke - 22nd Mar 2007

Well do ya, do ya, do ya wanna...

Too right I do, what else would I be doing on a Thursday night other than taking the 1/2 mile trek to the Hotel for the weekly sing-a-long! This week is no exception and although there were slightly more people in tonight than have been of late, apart from one elderley gentleman none of them sang which left the usual suspects completing the playlist!

I'd planned for my new song this to be Space - Female Of The Species but this was quickly scuppered when I checked the book to find that of all the disks Andy hasn't got, it's the one with this on which suprised me. Will have to rectify that! Fortunately I've still got some of the tracks I bought from SBI that I haven't done yet and so my new song this week was Hard-Fi's - Better Do Better which got to number 14 in the UK charts in April last year. More below.

I would say that Scott suprised me this week but he's been doing it so much this year that nothing he does suprises me anymore (this is a compliment by the way, although please apply bandages to keep the swelling down! :p). This weeks off-the-wall song was the 80's Electro-synth pop classic Together In Electric Dreams. I could listen to this genre all day with the likes of New Order, Kraftwerk, Visage, Godley & Creme etc. and the song was done justice by Scott on the mic. Nice one.

A new one too from Andy, Richard Marxs' (not Carl Marx as I first blurted out. tsk.) - Hazard. This is one of those songs that you don't hear very often but when you do it's instantly recognisable and you know it is a quality song. If I do ever run out of new songs to sing then this might well be on my short list to have a go at too. Good choice dude!

Now, no new ones as such from the girls, who were minus Louise this week, but.... I've created a new section at the bottom of the stats page which gives you the percentage probability of the said singer singing a new song when they get up and.... according to the stats the girls as a group are more likely to sing a new song than me or Scott. In fact, I'm the most repetitive singer....apparently :( The stats for the girls are weighed in their favour though as they keep swapping partners (car keys anyone :p) when repeating their songs but we'll let them have their moment of glory. At least they have more than six songs now ;) (I may not be blogging next week!)

The run down this week goes like this:

** NEW SONG **
Hard-Fi - Better Do Better - A track I've had lying around for a while but never got round to doing. I'm not a big Hard-Fi fan but I do like this one although it's not the easiest to sing as it goes from low to high quite a lot especially in the chorus. Nevertheless, I gave it a go and whilst it's not one of my better attempts it wasn't as bad as it could have been. As with all new songs, you never know until you try :)


Finally, there's a band on at the Hotel next Friday (30th March) called Stepping Lane. I've heard good reviews about this band and I missed them last time they were at the hotel so will hopefully be going to see them this time to see what they're about. From what I've heard, you should to. You can find out a little bit more about them at their myspace here: http://www.myspace.com/steppinglane. Although remember, the best music is always on a Thursday night at the Hotel....you know it ;)

See you next week

1 comment:

Captain Jack said...

Another great stat on the list mate not sure how you get that outcome but its nice to let them win at something. ;-)