Sunday, April 22, 2007

Karaoke - 19th Apr 2007

Well, here we are again! I would have posted sooner but for two things:

Firstly, the net has been absolutely crap the last week or so and this weekend it has been worse than ever. Trying to browse is painful and logging into here kept timing out, bloody NTL for you. Apparently it is now a known issue and they intend to fix it tomorrow afternoon...yeah right.

Secondly, to be honest I've not felt to enthusiatic about writing anything this week and this is because of how quiet the hotel was this week again. I know it sounds like a cracked record but it's quite disconcerting to walk into a pub just after nine to find that you and your friends are the only people occupying the entire lounge, and as much I enjoy singing, and no disrepect to my friends at all, I'd rather be singing to at least some sort of audience than just us lot. I like my Thursday nights and have been going for around 8 years or so now, but I worry as too how much longer the pub will keep it on as from a business point of view they surely can't be making anything from it. There used to be a time when Thursdays were the busy, fun nights and Tuesdays (the other day that Andy runs the karaoke) were the quiet 'practice' nights. Just recently I've been going up on a Tuesday for the last hour or so and it's now the complete reversal as it's fairly busy now both with people and singers.
So, the question is: what makes the Tuesday night karaoke more popular, or if you want, what makes the Thursday night *un*popular!? Tuesday night now has a quiz. A quiz for a £10 drinks voucher or a bottle of wine. Is this the reason that it's now more busy? It would certainly seem so at the moment as that's the only thing that's different..... or maybe ..... as has been suggested to me, it's the difference in the songs that are sung on the two nights. As you can tell from this blog, I like to sing up-to-date chart songs and Scott likes his Brit rock, both of which it's been said are maybe unpopular with a lot of the people that used to come in on a Thursday for the karaoke. "People expect to hear My Way, Words, Paradise By The Dashboard Light when they come to a karaoke" it's been mentioned (although maybe not them exact songs but you get the meaning).
Well yes, I don't mind them songs but if that's what we'd have to sing (or hear week in week out) in order to get the place popular again then I'd be one very disenchanted singer. I have no intention of giving up going on Thursday nights as I enjoy the company of Scott et al too much but I'm just worried that if it doesn't pick up soon then the choice might not be mine as time may well be called on the night by the landlord. :(

Sorry for the rant, just something that's been bothering me and needed to get it off my chest!

So, given that we almost had the pub to ourselves, what did we sing this week. Let's find out:

** New Songs **

Just Jack - Starz In Their Eyes - A tune I've been meaning to do for a while but not got around to it. This first hit from Just Jack reached number 2 in the UK charts in January of this year, kept from the #1 spot by another fav of mine, Grace Kelly by Mika. I think this one went fairly well although the chorus was a little lower to sing than I'd expected. Will probably do again. do-again-rating: 7/10

Paolo Nutini - New Shoes - Really liking this track at the moment by Paolo Nutini and it deserved a little better than the #21 position it reached in the charts in my opinion. Catchy and enjoyable to sing I can see me having one or two more cracks at this in the future. do-again-rating: 9/10


Well, hopefully we'll be doing this again next week so until then, adios!

No comments: