Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Karaoke - 5th Jul 2007

When I woke up on Friday and felt a bit off I thought that it was perhaps the effects of Thursdays nights drinks binge, but unfortunately not, it was instead the start of some goddamn virus that has kept me feeling like utter sh#te for the last week. Now that it's finally clearing up (I'm not feeling queasy and my head doesn't hurt as much!) it's having it's last throw of the dice by leaving me with a nasty cough. Grrrr!! Not had anything this bad for sometime and it seems to be making it's way around work too... I blame the air-con for that.

Anyway, It's not kept me away from the computer but I didn't have the energy or brainpower to muster up the enthusiasm to blog and so that's why this weeks is so late! I'll bring a note from my mum tomorrow.

After all that, last Thursday up the hotel wasn't too bad. No Tina or Louise so just Scott, Hayley and myself in our corner although we were joined by some of the Tuesday regulars yet again (you'll notice this by the upturn in the number of country tracks sang tonight!! ;) ). Someone suggested I should have a 'I've been mentioned on Shaunios blog' T-shirt to wear up the hotel, so Russ, are you gonna buy one? :p

Some new songs for me tonight ranging from dire to ok. Certainly nothing that I could say "yes, I really enjoyed that" too but I guess if you never try then you never know (and we'd all be singing Words and Angels week in week out). After last weeks little stats update, Scotts taken it as a challenge to get the entire Stones back catalogue sung up the hotel and he weighed in with no less than three more tonight. I have to admit to knowing none of them! Not sure why I seem to not know many of his songs just lately. Probably because when most of them came out I was heavily into rave (happy hardcore!) or rap/hip-hop back in my earlier years and totally ignored the indie/rock/pop scene pretty much from 1985/86 to the late 90's. Even now I sit here listening to Jack N Chill - The Jack That House Built on my recently acquired 6 disk Ultimate Rave Album! Quality stuff :) Nowadays my taste is a lot more varied (thankfully!) and I still like to dig out some of the old stuff and reminisce although there is still so many great songs out there from time gone by that I've yet to discover too.

Here's a random question for the day: Can you remember what the first ever song was that you sang on karaoke? For me, it was Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise back in around 97 I think (although may have been later) and Thursday nights have pretty much never been free since.

Forward a decade later, and this is what we're singing nowadays:
  • Others: Travis Tritt - Trouble
  • Others: Pussycat Dolls - Sway
  • Shaun: The Fratellis - For The Girl (acoustic)
  • Others: Texas - I Don't Want A Lover
  • Scott: Big Country - King Of Emotion
  • Others: Gary Nichols - I Can't Love You Anymore
  • Others: Sara Evans - Suds In The Bucket
  • Others: Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
  • Shaun: The Fratellis - Ole Black N Blue Eyes
  • Others: Whitney Houston - The Greatest Love Of All
  • Others: Elvis - Love Letters
  • Scott: Rolling Stones - Mixed Emotions
  • Andy: Jake Owen - Yee-Haw
  • Others: Brad Paisley - Ticks
  • Others: The Killers - Read My Mind
  • Shaun: The Pigeon Detectives - I'm Not Sorry
  • Others: Diana Ross - Chain Reaction
  • Others: UB40 - I Got You Babe
  • Scott: Rolling Stones - You Got Me Rocking
  • Others: The Killers - All These Things That I've Done
  • Others: Lonestar - Amazed
  • Shaun: Yello - The Race
  • Others: Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
  • Others: Burt Bacharach - I'll Never Fall In Love Again
  • Scott: Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
  • Others: Zoe Birkett - Get Happy

** NEW SONGS **

The Fratellis - For The Girl (acoustic) -I couldn't resist doing this having had the acoustic instrumental in my possession for some time now although despite knowing this song inside out, I managed to cock the la-la-lala bit up near the end as I just couldn't hear the guitar over my voice and with it being an acoustic, there was no beat either to time to. Still, enjoyed giving it a go though very unlikely to do again unless it's the proper album version. do-again-rating: 0/10

The Fratellis - Ole Black N Blue Eyes - The last single (EP) released from the album and I think this was a thumbs up to a fans vote on the official forum who voted this as there favourite Fratellis track. I can' t find the thread currently but I remember Creepin' Up The Back Stairs was second and Baby Fratelli third. Now, if I can just convince SBI Global that there is a demand for Creepin' then I would be very happy. Nice and easy this one although a little lower in parts than I expected. Can see it being sung again. do-again-rating: 7/10

The Pigeon Detectives - I'm Not Sorry - Nice track and quite easy to do, not much to say really. May get sung again or may disappear into obscurity, who knows! do-again-rating: 6/10

Yello - The Race - Much as I like this record, I wish I'd not even considered attempting this. Even though I was totally pissed by the time I got up to do, I'd have had a hard job making it sound any better sober. The version Sunfly have put out is spot on so credit there, but it really doesn't lend itself well to karaoke and I'll take Scott up on what he said as I made my way back: "Dont' do that again!". do-again-rating: -1/10


Overall, not a great week for me but it means that things can surely only get better (frantically touches wood and crosses fingers!). See you next week (or maybe earlier :) ).


PS: Oh, and don't forget to vote for Def Leppard - Let's Get Rocked here. Each vote for this track saves a kitten!

No comments: