Monday, September 17, 2007

Karaoke - 13th September 2007

Here we are again and after last weeks fairly decent turnout we go back to being a ghost pub again. I've come to the conclusion that this is now in some way related to being paid monthly as it always seems busy on the last or first week of a month and then dead for the middle weeks. Hopefully I'm wrong and next week will be busy but somehow I can't see it.
Maybe they've all got their savings in a Northern Rock account and are queueing up overnight to take their money out! What is it with them queues?? Do they not realise that they are making the problem much worse? I bet they're the same dithering old people you see lined up outside the post office every monday morning 30 minutes before it even opens so that they can get their weekly money. It'll still be there later on you idiots! Totally went off on a tangent, sorry, must be the wine!

Back on track and a quiet pub means a good dose of songs for us to sing as well as plenty of chat time pre singing in where, as usual, Scott and I disagree on the merit of having David Beckham in the England team. I'm still not sure which matches Scott was watching at the weekend (the Womens world cup maybe??) as he believes that England were crap despite us winning 3-0 twice. In my opinion: we don't miss Beckham, we definately don't miss Lampard, Ashley Cole is crap and wants dropping, Owen does play much better off Heskey (who has now bust his foot!) than any other strike partner and, and this is where I do agree with Scott, Wright-Phillips is like one of those little wind up toys that go whoosh along the floor and then.......nothing, about as much end product as the Portugese police. :o

Song-wise this week and no real stand outs to be honest, it was all fairly run-of-the-mill stuff which was just about right for the subdued pub atmosphere. I didn't even get that pissed either this week, I just couldn't get in the mood for it. The drinking that is. Please! I found out this week what the current plans are for this years New Years Eve fancy dress: either a Beach Party theme or Doctors & Nurses. Not the most imaginative of ideas but with the choice of women wearing bikinis etc or nurses outfits I think I might not complain (Giggsy's words, not mine ;) ) Oh well, either way means I won't be sweltering in a Darth Vader costume this year :)

This weeks songs:
  • Shaun: Tenpole Tudor - Swords Of A Thousand Men (3)
  • Scott: Kiss - Strutter (new)
  • Others: Johnny Rivers - Secret Agent Man (3)
  • Andy: Dire Straits - Money For Nothing (9)
  • Tina & Hayley: Macy Gray - I Try (7)
  • Others: Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier (3)
  • Shaun: Crazy Town - Butterfly
  • Scott: Biffy Clyro - Saturday Superhouse (new)
  • Others: David Gray - Babylon
  • Others: The Kinks - Come Dancing
  • Tina & Hayley: Alanis Morissette - Ironic (7)
  • Others: Gabrielle - Out Of Reach (5)
  • Shaun: Dexys Midnight Runners - Geno
  • Others: Elvis - Suspicious Minds
  • Scott: Audioslave - What You Are (new)
  • Others: Ronan Keating - If Tomorrow Never Comes (3)
  • Andy: Brad Paisley - Ticks (new) (3)
  • Others: Michael Buble - Feeling Good (2)
  • Tina & Hayley: All Saints - Pure Shores
  • Others: Roxette - Listen To Your Heart (5)
  • Shaun: Luniz - I Got 5 On It (new)
  • Others: Lionel Richie - Easy
  • Scott: Foo Fighters - My Hero (new)
  • Others: Lonestar - Amazed (3)
  • Others: Blondie - Denis


This weeks stats:
  • 25 songs sang tonight
  • 13 had not been sung previously this year
  • 12 have been sang already this year (1 of which was also sang last week)
  • There have been 939 songs sung so far this year!

** SHAUNS SONGS **

Tenpole Tudor - Swords Of A Thousand Men3rd time

Year of release: 1981
Peak chart position: #6 UK

A nice easy one to start the night off with having sung it numerous times before since aquiring the track from SBI (and a very good version it is too). Almost certain to start another night off again sometime.
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

Crazy Town - Butterfly1st for 2007

Year of release: 2001
Peak chart position: #3 UK

It's been a long time since I last sang this and Crazy Town seem to have disappeared in the meantime. I think it's fair to say that they were a one-hit wonder with this track although they did feature on a Paul Oakenfold track - Starry Eyed Suprise which I may do next week. Still, a nice little number and one that will probably get another run out eventually.
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

Dexys Midnight Runners - Geno1st for 2007

Year of release: 1980
Peak chart position: #1 UK

Geno!, Geno!, Geno! Not one of my planned tracks but Tina suggested it as I'd not sang it for some time. I remember Dad having the Dexys album many years ago and I used to play this and Come On Eileen over and over again as they were my favourites. Mind you, I used to play Tight Fit - Fantasy Island a lot too which I'm not sure says a great deal for dads musical choice back then (my excuse is that I was only 6 or 7 ;) ). Either way, a great song to bring out once in a while and will be done again no doubt.
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

Luniz - I Got 5 On It**NEW SONG**

Year of release: 1996
Peak chart position: #3 UK

Another one that I've dug out from my 'best rap album in the world' compilation CD! I don't think there's many more left to do on it now, at least not that are available anyway (Dream Warriors :( ). Another one-hit wonder but what a classic it is. It's main beat is derived from Club Nouveaus - Why You Treat Me So Bad as so many other artists have also done and is all about going halves with a partner on a bag of weed (naughty boys!!). I really enjoyed doing this track even if it was to a near empty pub so will definately be giving it another go on a busier night. :)
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

And so until next week...

"But in the end, no matter what i pretend, the journey is more important than end or the start" - Linkin Park - ENTH E END

No comments: