Monday, September 24, 2007

Karaoke - 20th September 2007

After last weeks ghost pub it looked like it was going to be similar again this week early on but fortunately it picked up to a decent level. There were a few singers in too, one of which, Jenna/Jemma I think her name was, I'd not seen before and completely suprised us with her choice of songs: Arctic Monkeys and Gnarls Barkley. Not what you normally expect to hear from a female solo singer and she wasn't too bad either (at singing that is!).

As mentioned in a previous post, I've managed to get hold of the Fratellis - Costello Music album complete instrumentals for a small price and as expected I soon had them converted to karaoke tracks. I was up until the early hours getting them all ready although I plan to redo them all as I rushed some of them a little bit in my eagerness to sing them. They're still alright as are and wouldn't stop me singing them, I can just be a bit of a perfectionist sometimes, especially with these songs as I love them so much. Anyway I managed to reel off three of them tonight, Vince, For The Girl and Got Ma Nuts, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed (and hope others did too). If you've not heard the album yet, what are you waiting for!!!! Get it now! I've still got around 5-6 tracks still to sing off the album but will be spreading these out over the coming weeks rather than just blasting through them in succcessive week.

A new song for the girls (minus Louise) this week although I don't think they'll repeating it as the chorus was found to be a little too high for them. Normally it's the other way around, you can do the chorus but not the rest of the song!. Anyway, I've got some song suggestions for you to ponder (pretty sure Tina has done some of these before):
edit: I think I may have mixed Dee Dee up with this one Lasgo - Something . You can do the Lasgo one ;)

I'm sure I can dig some more up if you want :)

Moving on to this weeks songs:
  • Scott & Andy: The Beatles - Day Tripper (2)
  • Shaun: The Fratellis - Vince The Lovable Stoner (new)
  • Others: Rob Thomas - This Is How My Heart Breaks
  • Others: DJ Sammy - Heaven
  • Scott: Foo Fighters - No Way Back (new)
  • Others: Shania Twain - You're Still The One (6)
  • Shaun: The Fratellis - For The Girl (new)
  • Others: Arctic Monkeys - Flourescent Adolescent (2)
  • Tina & Hayley: Katrina & The Waves - Walking On Sunshine (new)
  • Others: All Saints - Never Ever
  • Others: Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down (2)
  • Others: Katie Melua - The Closest Thing To Crazy (6)
  • Andy: Keith Urban - Jeans On (7)
  • Others: The Rubettes - Jukebox Jive (2)
  • Scott: Audioslave - Doesn't Remind Me (new)
  • Tina & Hayley: All Saints - Pure Shores (2)
  • Shaun: The Fratellis - Got Ma Nuts From A Hippy (new)
  • Others: Freda Payne - Band Of Gold
  • Others: Keith Urban - Days Go By (4)
  • Others: Pink - Who Knew (2)
  • Others: Texas - Black Eyed Boy (4)
  • Tina & Hayley: Beautiful South - Rotterdam (2)
  • Shaun: Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor (2)
  • Scott: Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl (2)
  • Others: Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
  • Others: Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere (2)
  • Scott: Cheap Trick - Surrender (new)

This weeks stats:
  • 27 songs sang tonight
  • 12 had not been sung previously this year
  • 15 have been sang already this year (1 of which was also sang last week)
  • There have been 966 songs sung so far this year!
Getting close to that 1000 songs for the year. Almost certain to be the 8th/9th song the week after next (4th October) when it goes, but who will get it..... The bookies say:
  • Others - 1/2
  • Shaun - 6/4
  • Scott - 2/1
  • Tina, Louise or Hayley - 8/1
  • Andy - 25/1
  • Elvis - 5000/1
get your bets on!

** SHAUNS SONGS **

The Fratellis - Vince The Lovable Stoner
** NEW SONG **

Year of release: 2006
Peak chart position: N/A - Album Track

One of the more mellower tracks off the album and with a slight country twist to it, Vince is rumoured to be a tongue in cheek take on Mince's (the Fratellis drummer) life pre joining the band. A crowd pleaser in the live performances with plenty of 'ahaaa's for the crowd to join in with and swing-a-long backing, this is one I enjoyed and will probably do again.
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

The Fratellis - For The Girl
** NEW SONG **

Year of release: 2006
Peak chart position: N/A - Album Track

My second favourite track off the album and one that I've previously sang an acoustic version of. I think I may redo the karaoke version of it though as the la-la-la's are missing from the instrumental and I think it would sound better with them edited in rather than the singer having to do them (not least becuase you need a breath break as it's quite fast!). Besides that, another enjoyable song to sing and funnily enough, another one that I'll do again ;)
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

The Fratellis - Got Ma Nuts From A Hippy
** NEW SONG **

Year of release: 2006
Peak chart position: N/A - Album Track

This is my favourite track from the album with it's infectiously catchy bass line, crazy lyrics and big build-up ending. It's a story of a guy meeting a hippy in a bar and ultimately losing his virginity in the back of a camper van and could be a rendition of one of the Fratellis real-life experiences? Jon claims not but you never know when he's telling the truth or not! My best song of the night for me and will be done again without a shadow of a doubt :)
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good
1st for 2007

Year of release: 2005
Peak chart position: #1 UK

The single that heralded the arrival of the Arctic Monkeys. Released on 17th October 2005 it went straight to the top of the charts the following week due to an enormous amount of [deserved] hype surrounding the band. It then went on to win best track at the 2006 NME awards (although this is of debatable achievment!). I hadn't planned on singing this one tonight but I thought that 3 Frat songs in one night was enough and with 2 other Monkeys songs being sung I just had to level the score, lol! Straightforward song with a great catchy riff that even I can play on the electric guitar :)
tonights-rating:do-again-rating:

That's it for another week, until next time, byeeeeeeeeeee...

"I ran from the tide, won't let you hide, won't let you hide" - Kasabian - Processed Beats

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Me and Tina did Pure Shores Shaun. Don't want the stats to be wrong!!

I liked For The Girl - you should ask Scott about my version!!!!

Shaun said...

oops, sorry. Have corrected now.

You're more than welcome to sing 'your version' of For The Girl on Thursday ;)

Lisa said...

your song comments run longer than the width of the boxes, so words keep getting cut off!

Shaun said...

couldn't figure out what you meant at first but just realised that if you are viewing on anything less than 1152 width then the right hand frame starts to overlap the song boxes :(

Will see what I can do :)