Monday, September 10, 2007

Karaoke - 6th September 2007




This weeks songs:
  • Others: Keith Urban - Days Go By (3)
  • Shaun: Jack Penate - Torn On The Platform (new)
  • Others: Amy Winehouse - Rehab (3)
  • Scott: Thin Lizzy - Waiting For An Alibi (new)
  • Others: Alanis Morissette - Ironic (6)
  • Tina, Louise & Hayley: Bryan Adams & Mel C - When You're Gone (6)
  • Others: Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (2)
  • Others: The Pretenders - I'll Stand By You (4)
  • Shaun: Falco - Rock Me Amadeus (new)
  • Others: Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive (3)
  • Others: Train - Drops Of Jupiter
  • Others: Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Zephyr Song
  • Scott: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction (new)
  • Others: Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue - Kids
  • Tina, Louise & Hayley: Girls Aloud - Love Machine (4)
  • Others: Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time (5)
  • Others: Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying (3)
  • Others: Womack & Womack - Teardrops (7)
  • Shaun: Hard-Fi - Suburban Knights (new)
  • Others: Marshall Hain - Dancing In The City
  • Scott: Thunder - Low Life In High Places (new)
  • Others: Foundations - Buttercup (3)
  • Andy: Take That - Shine (4)
  • Others: Diana Ross - Chain Reaction (7)
  • Tina, Louise & Hayley: Chicago - All That Jazz (4)
  • Shaun & Scott: Linkin Park - Bleed It Out (new)

This weeks stats:
  • 26 songs sang tonight
  • 11 had not been sung previously this year
  • 15 have been sang already this year (1 of which was also sang last week)
  • There have been 914 songs sung so far this year!

** NEW SONGS **
Hard-Fi - Suburban Knights

The lads from Staines follow up their smash album "Stars Of CCTV" with the new album "Once Upon A Time In The West" and the first track released is the fantastic Suburban Knights, reaching #7 on the UK charts. I wasn't too sure on this one at first but it's seriously grown on me and is up there with "Better Do Better" which was a favourite of mine from the last album. As with that track though I find myself singing too low at a few points in the song and then find it hard to get out of it until I get to the chorus. Seems to be more and more songs that are getting me like that at the moment, maybe my voice is on the change!! Either way, I will give this another run out in the future . do-again-rating: 7/10

Jack Penate - Torn On The Platform

Although I'm not too keen on Jack Penates other recordings, I do enjoy this and the start of it reminds me of the Housemartins - Happy Hour (in fact, I swear it's the same riff!) . The third single to be released by Jack it reached #7 in late June 2007. Simple enough to sing and one for the 'do-again' box . do-again-rating: 7/10

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus

I'd always thought that he was a one-hit wonder but it turns out that Austrian born Johann Hölzel, or Falco as he's more famously known as, was actually a huge star across Europe (and most of the world!) back in the eighties. Amadeus was undoubtedly his biggest UK hit reaching the #1 top spot back in1986 and although the follow up, Vienna Calling, reached #10 it is the former record that everyone remembers. Apparently based on the Oscar winning film Amadeus, it made #1 in no less than 13 countries including the US Billboard where it also reached #6 in the R&B charts, a feat previously unheard of by a white male artist!. Unfortunately the lifestyle that Falco chose got him killed in February 1998 when, after a session of drinking and taking cocaine, his car collided with a bus in the Dominican Republic and he died from his injuries at 40 years old. I was 11 years old when Amadeus hit the charts (I remember it well, we'd just moved into our new house) so I've had 22 years practice (and 5 years of GCSE German) in which to get it right. Fortunately, even though the Sunfly lyrics are wrong which doesn't help, I think I managed it pretty much ok and it was enjoyable to do. It certainly got a few stares when the German lyrics popped up on the screen, lol. As a novelty I may do it again, we shall see :). do-again-rating: 5/10
Linkin Park - Bleed It Out

The second track released from the excellent Minutes To Midnight album, Bleed It Out sees Linkin Park reverting to the tried & tested formula of Rap/Rock that Mike & Chester do so well. Unfortunately despite knowing the song inside out I managed to cock it up at the start and got out of sync with the music. Partly this was due to the amount of alcohol consumed (I was a bit drunk to say the least) and partly because I just couldn't hear the music. The start is almost like an acapella and unless you can hear the music over your voice then there are no cues to get the lines right. By the time you notice you're out you literally have to skip a line to get back on track. Normally doesn't bother me but I hate messing up songs that I really like or have always wanted to do :( Perhaps we might give it another go, I'm not sure yet!. do-again-rating: 3/10


until next week, night night!

"Everyone want's a bite, doesn't happen overnight" - Cypress Hill - Rock Superstar

No comments: