Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Mon The Fratellis!!!!

It's strange!

You'd think that a 31 year old father of two would be past the days of being 'obsessive' over a band but The Fratellis have me engrossed in their music like no others have ever done. I've seen them as a support act to Kasabian (my first ever live gig), I'm going to see them again later this month as a headline act, I've started playing the guitar because of them and for the first time in my life I actually watched The Brits tonight to see if they would win the best breakthrough act award....

....and they bloody well did!!!!!!!!

Fantastic achievement for the guys and I hope they carry on producing the high-energy, glam-rock style music that is the core of the fantastic debut album 'Costello Music'. If you've not heard it yet then what are you waiting for??

Kicking off with their first official single, Henrietta, you are taken into a world of fast-tempo, catchy-riffs and good old pop/rock at it's best. Chelsea Dagger, a top 10 hit, will have you jumping around for days with it's anthemic 'do-do-do do-do-do do-dodo-dododo' chorus whilst another top 10 hit, Whistle For The Choir' will have you swaying and whistling along to Jon's hypnotic vocals and melodic guitar playing.

But there's more to the album than just the chart hits, in fact, they could have released pretty much any song from this album and it probably would have done well. Their debut EP single, "Creepin Up The Backstairs" epitomises their upbeat tempo and raucous guitar riffs to the extreme, "For The Girl" takes you back to 'sing-a-long' pop-rock in a similar way to "Chelsea Dagger" and "Got Ma Nuts From A Hippy" tells you all about how you lose your virginity in the back of a camper van on a Saturday with an infectious bassline, crazy lyrics and great tempo switch to keep you on your feet.

"Baby Fratelli" is the next single to be released in the UK (mid-march) and although I would have preferred For The Girl, this T-Rex sounding track with it's massive chorus should do well enough. In tandem to that they are also releasing another track from the album, "Flathead" in the states which, if you watch enough tv, you may know as the music to the latest I-Pod (spit!) advert.

All in all, a cracking album bursting with a life and energy that I've not heard for a long time and I tell you now, you will not regret adding this album to your collection.

Mon The Fratellis!!!

2 comments:

Brendan said...

Hey, I from the US and I just started listening to The Fratellis but I have no idea what "mon the fratellis" means. Could somebody tell me what "mon" means.

Shaun said...

It's just slang for "Come On" :)